Saturday, August 20, 2016

new frontiers

I've been testing out various digital sketching apps on my phone, and I did this sketch in Autodesk Sketchbook (the best free drawing app I've found so far). Unfortunately, it's not super hi-res, but I like the ability to customize the brushes and the different tools they have available. It's also the only free app I've seen with layer capabilities, a major plus.(Although you're limited to three, which is a bummer. I did a loose sketch on the first, a cleanup on the second after moving the opacity on Layer 1 down so I could see what I was doing. Then a coloring later in between the two, and since I was out of layers, I went back to the scribbly layer and turned it into a simple background. Now that I think of it, I'll put process pics at the end for anyone who's curious.) I'll definitely be playing around with this app more in the future.

I'm not really sure who this sketch is supposed to be-I was playing around with exaggerated, caricatured facial features (hence the nose! heh) and trying to do some lighting, and I this is where I ended up.


I've also been thinking a bit about changing the blog name, but I'm struggling to come up with ideas. I want to play around with the look and name to get a bit more of a professional feel, so suggestions would really be appreciated! :) 

Here are some process pictures. 


The super-loose-and-messy scribble


Cleaned up (scribbly version is hiding underneath at 25% opacity)


Colored in and cleaned up a little more

Thanks for reading, friends. Til next week! 

2 comments:

  1. Great drawings! As for your name- I actually really like it, it's unique, literary and rather memorable. Other than just going with your name or something, I think it's professional! But then what do I know haha. I love your design, but if you wanted that more professional, just going with something really simple and monochromatic, with a self-designed header to showcase your art right away, would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, thank you! I haven't ever had a header but I'll definitely have to experiment with it. And the monochromatic idea is really good too. I like the way your blog looks a lot, so I really appreciate the advice! :D

      Delete

I love getting comments, so please tell me what you think! I moderate comments, so don't worry if yours doesn't show up right away. I try to reply to all my comments, so be sure to click the "notify me" box so you can see replies! :)