Thursday, October 8, 2015

#inktober day 8: Mr E.H. Shepard

I had more time for Inktober today, so I did some studies of one of my favorite artists: E.H. Shepard! He's most famous for illustrating the Winnie-the-Pooh books and the Wind in the Willows-I watched the Disney Winnie-the-Pooh with my little brother tonight, which also sparked the idea :)

Shepard had a wonderful loose style, especially drawing trees and grass, and I love his character drawings as well. So much appeal! So much personality! I tend to be a bit more tentative with ink, so as I did these studies I worked especially at loosening up and not being afraid of the permanence of the medium. I learned a lot making these and I'm pretty happy with them!


The whole page


Shepard's design is quite different from the Disney version most people are familiar with, and you can't beat the Tigger Song (see below), but original book Tigger will always have a special place in my heart because I grew up with him :)

The wonderful thing about tiggers
Is tiggers are wonderful things!
Their tops are made out of rubber!
Their bottoms are made out of springs!
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun fun fun fun fun!
But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is
I'm the only one!

Tiggers are cuddly fellas
Tiggers are awfully sweet
Everyone else is jealous
So that's why I repeat:

The wonderful thing about tiggers
Is tiggers are marvelous chaps!
They're loaded with vim and with vigor!
They love to leap in your laps!
They're jumpy, bumpy, clumpy, thumpy
Fun fun fun fun fun!
But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is
I'm the only one!


Winnie-the-Pooh! (this sketch is sadly my least favorite of the lot, but whatever I do will never truly do justice to the great Silly Old Bear himself. So I'm posting it anyway)



Shepard's trees are the best. I had a lot of fun doing these.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love all of these!!! I love his illustrations as well. I want to do a little kids book soon and I def. am planning to draw inspiration from his work! My favorite is probably the last one actually, the shading is really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss he was fantastic. :) A kid's book illustrated in Shepard's style sounds really cool! And thank you so much, it was really fun to draw.

      Delete

I love getting comments, so please tell me what you think! I moderate comments, so don't worry if yours doesn't show up right away. I try to reply to all my comments, so be sure to click the "notify me" box so you can see replies! :)