Wednesday, October 26, 2016

#inktober day 26: horses, changing interests, and loving things

One of my good friends moved across the country last year. She's an amazing horseback rider, and I was thinking about her when I drew this :)


Now, something you should know about me is that I have always been a very devoted Lover of Various Things from a young age, and one of the things I loved was horses. I checked out Black Stallion and Marguerite Henry books (or any other horse book) and devoured them in stacks, I collected little plastic horses, I wrote pages of stories about horses, I did school projects about horses, and I wanted my very own horse with all of my soul. Some kids had imaginary friends, but I had an imaginary herd of horses. It was a Thing. :)

To some extent, I guess I still have that love for horses! I don't think about it every day like I did then, but it's still a part of me. There will always be a very special place in my heart for "horse books", and I am still awed by the beauty and power of horses. I will still get emotional when I read Mustang, Wild Spirit of the West or Black Beauty or King of the Wind, and I kind of hope I always will.

So even though that interest has become less a part of my life than it used to be, it's still part of who I am. I used to be afraid that getting new interests and having some things I used to be completely immersed in fade into the background would mean changing the person I am permanently. But everything I've ever loved and put energy and time and passion into has changed me, and I'm better for it. And of course, the things that are truly important-my faith, family, etc., will always be a part of my life, no matter what other things change.

Essentially, I believe it's much better to be interested in everything and not have the time to pursue it all than to lack interest in everything and struggle to find anything you value enough to be passionate about. If you're going to love something, why do it by halves? :) And the more you develop the ability to discover all the fascinating things in the world around you, the more things you'll find to love and the happier you'll be.


Have a good day, friends.

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully written! And amazing picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally relate to that- horses were my life when I was little. Mainly because I had nothing to do with real horses! After I actually tried riding and stuff, it sort of petered out, and now I'm actually scared of them! I've come to find how much fun life is if you let yourself just enjoy everything- it's a lesson I still am learning, but a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Essentially, I believe it's much better to be interested in everything and not have the time to pursue it all than to lack interest in everything and struggle to find anything you value enough to be passionate about. If you're going to love something, why do it by halves? :) And the more you develop the ability to discover all the fascinating things in the world around you, the more things you'll find to love and the happier you'll be.'

    you should letter this or something, it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah wow, that would be a really fun idea! I didn't think of that at all! Thank you:) I'm so glad that made sense to you. It's so lovely to share something like that and then have somebody tell you it resonated with them. :)

      Delete

I love getting comments, so please tell me what you think! I moderate comments, so don't worry if yours doesn't show up right away. I try to reply to all my comments, so be sure to click the "notify me" box so you can see replies! :)