Monday, October 31, 2016

#inktober day 31: return of inkPOEber + anna talks about poetry (POEtry haha) + THANK YOU

Wow. I can't believe it's the end of Inktober! And what better way to end it than with some Edgar Allan Poe? (Throwback to last Inktober when I wore out this pun in a shameful fashion . . . and here I am, dragging it out again. whoops?)

Poe is one of my favorite authors from the Romantic period, even though all his work tends to be a bit depressing. I try to follow it up with something nice and cheerful like The Importance of Being Ernest or Much Ado About Nothing or anything by Ogden Nash or Roald Dahl, to keep myself from drifting about for the rest of the day in a mood of sentimental melancholy. Never, under any circumstances, let yourself sit down and read T.S. Eliot and Edgar Allan Poe and Hamlet at the same time, unless you have the time to spare to sit and gaze out the window pondering how terribly sad it is to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune while pining away after the bright eyes of your lost love in an unreal city on the beach of the tumid river under an evening spread out against the sky like a patient etherized upon a table. It'll take a very strong does of John Donne to jolt you out of that. ("Death, Be Not Proud" always tugs at my heartstrings. You don't have to read any of the other stuff I linked to, but go read that. It will cheer you up. Promise.)


(Also, today was the last day of Poe Party, so some Poe stuff seemed to be in order. :) )


I couldn't decide which of the pictures I took was better, so I have burdened you with both of them. You tell me which one is better. ;)

And now that I 've talked about poetry for a far longer time than I intended to: I just wanted to say thank you all so much for reading this blog during this crazy month, and all the time! I know it might be kind of annoying to have these posts keep popping up EVERY DAY, so I really truly appreciate everyone reading and commenting on them. One of the nicest things about this blog was finding that there are so many lovely people out there who are interested in classic literature and art and period dramas and philosophy and theology and all sorts of interesting things, and who are willing to even read my little blogging efforts and look at my pictures and to leave the nicest, most encouraging and most thoughtful comments. As usual, Anne Shirley said it best: "Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world." So if you're reading this, thank you so much for being a kindred spirit! :)

4 comments:

  1. Yay for kindred spirits!! I need to read more Poe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's great! Annabel Lee and the Raven are probably my two favorites-although I actually quite like The Masque of the Red Death.

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, I loved the Poe puns!!! And the picture is amazing! I studied some Poe recently for my College Composition class.
    I enjoyed Inktober immensely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad they went over well ;) Thank you! And that sounds like fun-which ones have you been reading? :)

      Delete

I love getting comments, so please tell me what you think! I moderate comments, so don't worry if yours doesn't show up right away. I try to reply to all my comments, so be sure to click the "notify me" box so you can see replies! :)